You could read through Facebooks Privacy Guide, but I found it a little confusing and a lot of people have been asking me for specific settings. SO here are some screenshots of the privacy settings so you can find where everything is located really easily!
Click privacy settings in the upper right corner from the Account tab.
Click View Settings next to Basic Directory Information
Select your desired settings and then Preview My Profile
Type in your friends name to see what they can see on your profile.
Then go back to Privacy Settings. Click customize settings
Select your custom settings then Preview My Profile to make sure it does what you want.
- Do you want the whole world to see your family members? This could give away 'mothers maiden name' if you've connected with your mom/child. I set this to only me, or to my 'family' list.
- Edit album privacy for each photo album. I made sure to set any photos of children to 'friends only' or an even more refined list to keep them safe. I set all my pictures of cats and flowers to everyone.
- Contact Information: this shows you phone number, address, email address. I never entered in the first two phone numbers, my address is for 'family' only, and I have my email address blocked for 'limited profile' list and anyone else I don't really want to contact me.
- Set up lists under Account, Edit Friends.
Go back to privacy settings and check your applications and websites and block lists
You can Remove unwanted applications here if you'd like. Make sure you check to see what your friends can share about you! I enabled my Instant Personalization because I like it, but you should check it out and decide for yourself.
As you can see, I've set it so my friends can't share ANY of my information with applications, games and websites.
If someone is bothering you, or you just don't want them to be able to see your profile at all, you can add them to the Block List. You can do this for applications you do not wish to get notified from as well.
You can navigate to the Block List in your privacy settings to unblock people and applications if you blocked them on accident or change your mind later!
That's it for the most part! Facebook's Privacy Guide is the 'Controlling How You Share' link on the bottom right corner of the Privacy page.
Also be sure to look at your Account settings and Application settings to control what you share!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades